To upgrade to a new minor version of Tomcat (e.g., 9.0.a → 9.0.b), please undertake the following steps:
- Download the latest supported version of Tomcat. See Software packages and download locations for the exact version and location. For Windows, download the 'Windows upgrade' package.
- Stop the Apache Tomcat service.
- Overwrite the contents of the Tomcat
binfolder with the contents from the
bindirectory in the archive.
- Remove the existing contents of the Tomcat
- Add the contents of the
libdirectory in the archive to the Tomcat
- Optionally (Windows): update the Tomcat version number in the service description by running
bin\Tomcat8w.exeand updating the version number.
- Start the Apache Tomcat service.
For major upgrades of Tomcat, please perform a 'fresh' install of Tomcat and remove the old Tomcat installation afterwards.